Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday thanked Union Home Minister Amit Shah for ordering the reopening of 14 tourist destinations in the Union Territory that were closed following the Pahalgam terror attack in April last year.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a function, Abdullah said he had raised the issue of reopening the closed tourist spots during his recent meetings with the Union Home Minister in Jammu and earlier in Delhi.
“My request was that the areas which have been closed should be reopened. There is no purpose served by keeping these destinations closed. We did not shut these places even during the worst of times,” he said.
Abdullah added that the Home Minister had assured him that the destinations would be reopened and the orders have now been issued. “I am thankful to the Home Minister for that. The local people have suffered losses due to the closure. I hope visitors will now return to these beautiful places,” he said.
On Monday, Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha ordered the reopening of 11 tourist destinations in Kashmir and three in the Jammu region. These sites were among more than 80 locations closed after the April 22 terror attack in Pahalgam, which claimed 26 lives, mostly tourists.
Remarks on BJP MLA and Allegations
Responding to controversial remarks made by BJP MLA Vikram Randhawa, Abdullah said that “the truth has prevailed,” claiming that a case had been registered against Randhawa for allegedly occupying government land.
He also accused BJP leaders of inconsistency between their statements and actions. Referring to Rajya Sabha member Ghulam Ali Khatana, Abdullah alleged that although Khatana represents Jammu and Kashmir and resides here, he spent 90 per cent of his MPLAD funds in Uttar Pradesh.
Ramzan Arrangements and Daily Wagers’ Protests
When asked about electricity supply during the month of Ramzan, the Chief Minister said he would chair a meeting to review all arrangements and ensure that people face minimal inconvenience during the holy fasting month.
On the protests by daily wagers, Abdullah said there was no need for street demonstrations as the government has already announced in the Assembly that they would be regularised this year under a scheduled process.
He cautioned workers against being influenced for political gains and urged them to engage in dialogue. “If they have something to say, they should come and tell me. Street protests are not good for them or their future. We have assured regularisation in a time-bound manner,” he said.


